Hurricane season is upon us here in Charleston, so here are a few of our best tips to make sure you and your family are ready.
Create a plan as a family:
- Pick a place to meet outside of your neighborhood.
- Pick an out of town friend to be your “family contact”. All family members should call this person and tell them if they are safe and where they are.
- Discuss what to do in an evacuation and know your evacuation route.
- Practice your plan annually.
Make a plan for pets:
- If you have to evacuate, take your pet with you!
- Assemble an animal emergency supply kit including medicine, collar with ID tag and vaccination records.
- Know which hotels allow pets.
- Some counties may have emergency animal shelter facilities, but the availability may be limited.
Build an emergency kit which contains at a minimum:
- A three day supply of water and non-perishable food.
- First aid kit.
- Important papers.
- Battery powered radio and flashlight.
- Cell phone chargers.
- Prescription medication.
- Blankets and extra clothes.
Create a home inventory:
- Make a list and photograph/videotape all furnishings and valuables.
- Use an app like Sortly, Encircle or BluePlum Home Inventory to capture images, descriptions, bar codes and serial numbers of personal property.
- Keep a written copy of your home inventory in your important papers folder.
Know your insurance coverage:
- Understand the policy coverage and exclusions.
- Claims can be paid in two ways: actual cash value or replacement cost.
- Update your policy to cover the replacement cost of your possessions.
- Understand your deductible.